Slate Grove is an artist, fabricator, educator, and studio manager with
experience across the USA and currently lives and works in Finland’s
capital region. Slate has experience teaching everything from dedicated
workshops to both Bachelor and Masters level instruction in University
programs. For 6 years, Slate was an independent artist and project
fabricator in New York City where he facilitated individual projects for
artists and design teams that ranged from unique handmade projects
through serial production. Well versed in freehand blowing, mold
blowing, sculpture, slumping, fusing, and kiln casting means that most
projects are accomplishable with fewer contractors required.
What we offer
- The range of processes Slate utilizes includes free form, mold blowing, sculpting, casting, slumping, fusing, neon, flameworking and gluing from individual pieces to production series. Some of the artist projects worked on include: Yoko Ono Lennon, Josiah McElheny, Lindsey Adelman, Design Niche Modern, David Horvitz.
- 1000€/day for custom fabrication and prototyping, including initial consultation, project planning, and 1 workshop day. After the initial prototyping day, all projects and small scale production runs will be priced as necessary. Studio costs and additional studio assistants for projects will require separate and direct payment to the studio or individual(s).
- Slate began teaching glass blowing courses in 2005 and have since taught courses at educational institutions and community access studios including: Aalto University, Espoo Finland Ammattiopisto Tavastia, Nuutajärvi Finland Ball State University, Indiana USA Illinois State University, Illinois USA Pittsburgh Glass Center, Pennsylvania USA Snow Farm Craft School, Massachusetts USA UrbanGlass, New York USA
- 300€/day for group glassblowing courses
Glass Studio Equipment/Planning:
- Slate began glass equipment maintenance and building in 2005. He has planned, built, and maintained equipment for many glass studios. Below is an abbreviated list: Aalto University, Espoo Finland (current) Illinois State University, Illinois USA Ball State University, Indiana USA Penland School of Crafts, North Carolina USA Spiral Arts, Inc. for Corning Museum of Glass, New York USA UrbanGlass, New York USA
- 150€/hour or 500€/day: Technical assistance, building/maintaining/equipment
03600 Karkkila, Finland